The International Humanitarian Technology Project Competition (IHTPC 2017) will be held within the 5th IEEE Region 10 (Asia Pacific) Humanitarian Technology Conference (R10-HTC) during 21-23 December 2017 at Dhaka, Bangladesh. The IHTPC is financially sponsored by IEEE Humanitarian Activity Committee (HAC) and organized by IEEE Bangladesh Section.
For details, please visit: http://r10htc2017.com/ieee-ihtpc/
Submit project descriptions here.
IHTPC 2017 offers $3,000 USD Award/Travel-Grants to encourage more humanitarian technology projects.
The objectives of this project competition are:
- Encourage and inspire local along with International volunteers for IEEE humanitarian activities and projects
- Exchange relevant knowledge, expertise and experience
Recognize good projects/activities
- Leveraging humanitarian project plan by providing necessary source of funding and technological help
The contest aims at orienting young minds towards identifying community problems and developing substantial pragmatic solutions which are supposed to be impactful and applicable. Principal objective of this challenge is to inspire young professionals and engineers to become socially responsible and be engaged in developing reliable solutions which can be proven cost effective and efficient; to improve living conditions of common people; thus making a significant change in people’s lives. Keeping similarity with IEEE R10 HTC the theme of this year’s competition has been set to “Smart Technologies for Humanities ”.
Eligibility of Participants
The program is open to all science/engineering professionals and graduate/undergraduate students.
Projects are invited those are designed to provide benefit to under-served population or solve a community problem, applying science, engineering and technology.
The HT projects are expected to be carried out on following areas.
- Climate Change, Environment, Clean Water & Sanitation
- Disaster Management (Earthquake, Fire, Flood etc)
- Healthcare and Assistive Technologies
- HT Challenges, Opportunities and Apps
- Human Computer Interaction
- Quality Education, Adult Education
- Technologies for Agriculture, Food and Poverty Alleviation
- Other Relevant HT Projects
Guidelines for Initial Project Description Submission
- Project title
- Problem Description (max 100 words)
- Proposed Solution to the Problem (maximum 300 words)
- Humanitarian Aspect of the Project (maximum 100 words)
- Project Members, Contact Person and Mentor:
Name and detail contact information (Full name, Organization/Institution,
full address, phone number and email address). Indicate Contact Person and Mentor
- Declaration and Acknowledgement: Members must declare about the novelty of the work. IEEE plagiarism policy will be followed strictly. If the same or similar work has been presented elsewhere by the same members, it must be clearly stated. Please try to make sure that no one else or no other institutions/organizations are deprived from their deserve credit regarding the similar innovation.
1) Team size: 2-5 members. However, at least one member must register and attend during the final event to demonstrate the work (if it is finally accepted).
2)Team members may come from different institutions.
3) Each Team is requested to mention the name of a Mentor for their project. A mentor is generally an experienced engineer/volunteer/faculty member. It is expected that the team members at least discuss their project with the Mentor. However, Mentor can also be a member of the Team.
4) Upon Confirmation of all teams, short-listed project teams must submit a video demonstration (Max 5 min) before the final competition.
5) The promising projects will be shortlisted based on the performance, reliability, innovation, design, exploratory and most importantly on their impact on humanity or on community.
6) Each team must bring final prototype in the competition. Participant is expected to perform some demonstrations of the system or product in front of the audience and judges during the conference. Schedule of selected project presentation will be announced in due time.
7) All short-listed teams presenting the projects during the conference will be given certificates provided that they submit final 4-page reports following IEEE conference template. A Project Team can also submit a paper based on their project in HT Project Track. However, papers will be reviewed by the reviewers and track-members similar to the other tracks of the conference.
8) Top 3 teams will be selected by a panel of experts based on the novelty of the proposed solution, presentation, results achieved and the impact on humanity, or on a community.
9) The winners will be awarded with certificates and some financial assistance for further development of their project.
10) The organizers have the right to cancel the registration and participation if the proposal or product is found to be not original, already commercialized product, or copied from other sources.
11) The panel of judges consists of experts from academic and industrial background.
12) Decision of judges is final and no claim will be considered.
13) No changing of members is allowed during the competition.
14) The products or systems those have been patented or have been presented in other competition are also eligible to participate in the competition provided proper permission is taken and declaration is made.
- Project Description Submission: 15 August, 2017
- Notification of Preliminary Acceptance: 01 September, 2017
- Revised Project, Report &Video Demo Submission: 01 October, 2017
- Notification of Acceptance: 10 October, 2017
- Last date of Registration: 15 October, 2017
- Final Competition: 21-22 December, 2017
Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, Dhaka, Bangladesh